|Dr Matthew Lyons|
Orthopaedic Hip and Knee Surgeon
Arthroscopic Surgery & Joint Replacement
(Primary & Revision)
I am a fellowship trained Orthopaedic Surgeon with a special interest in disorders of the hip and knee. I perform arthroscopic, reconstructive and replacement surgery of the Hip & Knee with a particular interest in revision arthroplasty for failed and infected joint replacements.
- Hip & Knee Joint Replacement Fellowship (Primary & Revision Arthroplasty)
- University Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada
- Fellowship Directors – Professors Bob Bourne & Steve MacDonald
- Sports Hip & Knee Fellowship (Arthroscopic & Reconstructive Surgery)
- North Sydney Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Centre at The Mater Hospital, Sydney
- Fellowship Directors – Dr Merv Cross OAM & Michael O’Sullivan
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association 2013
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 2009
- Australian Orthopaedic Association Advanced Trainee- (Northside NSW) 2006-9
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Basic Surgical Trainee 2001-5
- University of New South Wales 1994- 2000
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor Medical Science Honours Class One
Academic Awards / Courses
- Arthroscopy Association of North America, Masters Course in Hip Arthroscopy, Rosemont, Illinois, 2010
- Australia Limb Deformity and Correction Course, 2007
- Advanced Arthroscopy Workshop, Northern Clinical Centre, Royal North Shore Hospital, 2007
- United States Medical Licensing Exam Step 1, 2007
- AO/ASIF Hand Course, Queenstown, New Zealand, 2005
- AO/ASIF Hand Course, Queenstown, New Zealand, 2005
- CLEAR Course (Critical Literature Evaluation and Research), 2005
- AO/ASIF Advanced Fracture Treatment, Davos Switzerland 2004
- Arthroscopic Skills Workshop, Northern Clinical Centre, Royal North Shore Hospital, 2004
- AO/ ASIF Basic Principles Course 2003
- Resident of the Year, St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney 2002
- Surgical Anatomy by Dissection Course 2002
- ATLS/ EMST (Early Management of Severe Trauma Course) 2002
- CCrISP (Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient) 2002
- Intern of the Year, St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney 2001
- United States Medical Licensing Exam, Step 2, 2000
- Harvey Carey Scholarship for Honours Study, UNSW 1997
- Academic Vice Chancellor’s Scholar for the award of Bachelor of Laws at Bond University, Queensland (not pursued) 1994
- Cooper Scholarship to study classics (Latin & Ancient Greek) at the University of Sydney (not pursued) 1994
- Dux of St Ignatius’ College, Riverview 1993
Current Hospital Appointments
Visiting Medical Officer
- The Mater Hospital, Sydney
- Sydney Adventist Hospital
- Hornsby Kuringai Hospital
- North Shore Private Hospital
- Dubbo Base Hospital
- Dubbo Private Hospital
My particular areas of interest in orthopaedic surgery include:
- Joint replacement surgery (Arthroplasty) of the hip and knee
- Revision Arthroplasty for failed, painful or infected prosthetic joints
- Arthroscopic surgery of the hip & knee, including-
- ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) reconstruction
- Sports knee surgery
- Hip arthroscopy
- Labral repair
- Femoro-acetabular impingement (FAI) hip surgery
I have extensively published research on the performance of knee and hip arthroplasty, both primary and revision surgery. Specifically, my interests pertain to the improvement of safe, efficacious and effective surgery of the lower limb.
- Yao R, Lyons MC, Howard JL, McAuley JP. Does patellectomy jeopardize function after TKA?Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2013 Feb 471(2): 544-553.
- Mahmud T, Lyons MC, McCalden RW, Naudie DD, Howard JL, Bourne RB, MacDonald SJ. Assessing the Gold Standard: A Review of 253 Two-Stage Revisions for Infected TKA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Oct 470 (10): 2730-2736
- Lyons MC, MacDonald SJ, Somerville LE, Naudie DD, McCalden RW. Unicompartmental versus total knee arthroplasty database analysis: is there a winner? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Jan; 470(1):84-90.
- Lyons MC, MacDonald SJ. Rotational Bearing TKA: Less Than AdvertisedSeminars in Arthroplasty 2011 Vol. 22, Issue 3, Pages 163-166
- Lyons MC, MacDonald SJ. Dual Poly Liner Mobility Optimizes Wear & Stability in THA; Opposes. Orthopedics. 2011 Sep 9;34(9):e449-51
- Harris IA, Lyons MC. Reoperation rate in diaphyseal tibia fractures ANZ Journal of Surgery, Volume 75, Issue 12, Page 1041-1044, Dec 2005
- Honours Thesis for BSc (Med)
- The effect of a season of swimming training on elite adolescent athletes. Supervisors- Dr David Garlick and DrJeni Saunders. Department of Sports Medicine, School of Physiology and Pharmacology,Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales
- Book Chapter: “Prevention of Periprosthetic Fractures- Local Factors” in AO Manual of Fracture Management: Periprosthetic Fractures, Editor Michael Schuetz. Author Lyons MC, MacDonald SJ. 2013
- Lyons MC, MacDonald SJ, Somerville LE, Howard JL, Naudie DD. Spinal vs General Anesthesia in THA: An Analysis using Prospectively Collected Clinical Patient Data.
Provisionally accepted Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research 2013. Presented 2012 American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, San Francisco & The Hip Society Closed Meeting Dallas, 2011
- Lyons MC, McCalden RW, Naudie DD, Howard JL, Bourne RB, MacDonald SJ Sequential 2 stage revision for bilateral infected total knee arthroplasty. Submitted Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- Dzaja I, Lyons MC, Howard JL, Naudie DD Early results of difficult revision hip arthroplasty using the Stryker Restoration Modular Revision Hip System. Accepted for podium presentation American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, 2014, New Orleans
- Lyons MC, Naudie DD, MacDonald SJ, McCalden RW, Bourne RB.A case series of trabecular metal failure in post irradiated acetabulae.
- Lyons MC, O’Sullivan MD A simple method for removal of a ceramic acetabular liner
- Lyons MC, O’Sullivan MD How Accurate are CT Scanograms for Leg Length Discrepancy?
- Atwal NS, Lyons MC, Cross MJ. Current Concepts on ACL reconstruction: A systematic review.
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Arthroplasty Society of Australia
- Australian Medical Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
When not working and spending time with family, I enjoy skiing, golf and am a veritable Rugby tragic.
I consider it a priority to be available and approachable for all your orthopaedic concerns.
For appointments with Dr Lyons please phone (02) 9409 0500.